Located in Kumaon region Uttarakhand.
Nainital, it is referred to within the ‘Manas Khand’ of the ‘Skanda Purana’ because of the Tri-Rishi-Sarovar, the lake of the three sages, Atri, Pulastya, and Pulaha who were reputed to possess arrived here on pilgrimage and penitence. The presence of no water to quench their thirst dug a hole and siphoned water into it from the sacred Mansarovar lake in Tibet.
According to most recent historical records, Nainital was discovered by a British sugar merchant P. Barron in 1839.
Nainital is one of the foremost beautiful hill stations in North India. Surrounded by mountains on three sides Nainital is found around the beautiful lake Naini Tal. This lake resort is situated at a height of 1,939 meters. There are many legends associated with the place.
Nainital, it's derived its name from the Goddess Naina while the opposite legend says that when the Goddess Sati lost her eyes, she was being carried by Lord Shiva and a lake was formed. (‘Naina’ which suggests eye and ‘Tal’ means lake.) This beautiful village in surrounded by seven hills, popularly mentioned as ‘Sapta-Shring’ – Ayarpata, Deopata, Handi-Bandi, Naina, Alma, Lariya-Kanta, and Sher-Ka-Danda. The majestic mountains and therefore the sparkling waters of the lake add an immense lot to the sweetness of the town.
HOW TO REACH
⦁ AIRWAYS- Pantnagar airport is the nearest airport to kathgodam and Nainital as well.It is situated 72kms from Nainital .Taxis to Nainital and Kathgodam are easily available from Pantnagar airport. Indira Gandi International airport, New Delhi is 300kms from
⦁ RAILWAYS- Kathgodam is the nearest railway station to Nainital, situated at the distance of 41kms . Nainital is only one hour drive from 41kms from Kathgodam Railway Station.
⦁ ROADWAYS- Nainital is well connected through road network. Since air and rail connectivity in Uttarakhand is limited , roa network is the best and easily avialable transport option . One can either drive to Nainital or hire a cab /taxi from Delhi or any other near by cities.
DELHI TO NAINITAL:-290KMS
BAREILLY TO NANITAL:-131KMS
PLACES TO VISIT OR THINGS TO DO
1. Naina Devi Mandir:- Devoted to the eyes of devi Sati and it is one of 51 shaklti pith.
2. Naina Jheel :- Famous for shikara boating. One of the famous lake of kumaon region.
3. Tiffin Top:- Popular for senec beauty and rock climbing.
4. Tibetan Market:- Popular for woolens, momos and chinese.
5. Ropeway:- It comes in mid way of snow view point , one have to cross this to visit snow view.
6. Snow View Point:- Famous for its himalayan beauty.
7. Khurpatal Lake:-Which changes its color according to the season.
8. Lovers Point:- Tourists attraction
9. Horse Riding:- Just costs Rs.250
10. Mall Road:- It is full of restaurants and shopping malls .
11. Eco Cave Garden:- Inside it different animal shaped caves are found here.
12. Naukuchiatal:- It is 1hr. distance from nainital and famous for paragliding.
13. Bhimtal:- It is only 5min distance from naukuchiatal. Boating can be done in this lake.
14. Sattal:- Popular for zip line and boating.
WHERE TO STAY
There are abundant of resorts and hotels in Nainital. One can take hotel or resort from either of the places, Bhimtal, Near Naini Lake, Mallital,Tallital, Mukteshwar, Ramgarh, Naukuchiatal, Pangot. There are lots of options available here.
⦁ HOTEL NAINI RETREAT
⦁ LAKE SIDE INN
⦁ PRIM ROSE
⦁ EARL'S COURT
⦁ HOTEL SHIVRAJ
⦁ HOTEL HIMALAYA
⦁ NEELESH INN
⦁ STERLING NAINITAL
⦁ WELCOME PARK
⦁ N V NATURE VIEW
WHAT TO EAT AND WHERE TO EAT
Nainital being a famous tourist spot, houses a flattering kind of cuisines from North Indian, Chinese, Continental, Italian to Thai, Tibetan and hence the local cuisines of Uttarakhand.
The local cuisine is more delicious, preparations like Ras (a dish made with several dals), Baadi, Bhatt ki Churkani, Aloo ke Gutke (a spicy preparation of boiled potatoes, Arsa (a sweet dish), Gulgula (a sweet snack) and much more.
⦁ LAZY LEOPARD
⦁ MACHAN RESTAURANT
⦁ SAKLEY RESTAURANT
⦁ CAFE LAKE SIDE
⦁ TADKA RESTAURANT
⦁ ZOOBY'S KITCHEN
⦁ CAFE 'CHAICHA'
⦁ CHINA TOWN
⦁ SONAM FAST FOOD
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Nainital is a beautiful town with a mystic charm attracts tourists almost all through the year. However, the best time to visit Nainital is from March to June which comes during summer/ spring season in the country. Most people want to escape the scorching heat of sun in the country and prefer visiting Nainital. Throughout the year is the best time to visit Nainital (except monsoon season). For the snow lovers, a trip can be planned from late November to February which comes in winter season.